Tuesday, June 12, 2012
- Cheese microwaved with some unmelted shreds hanging out on one side of the plate
- Under-ripe avocado (althought I love "pure" guacamole, I would rather they'd mixed the slices up with something else to mask this)
- My friend had to mix of their salsas together (pico de gallo and roasted salsa) to get something that was really tasty, although the creamy green salsa (tomatillo and avocado?) was pretty good, if not a bit too spicy)
- Chicken in a sauce that tasted a lot like enchiladas (bonus!)
- Home-made fried tortilla chips.
- I Remembered to hold the beans
- Their Logo...
- Come on - just because I used a Google Wallet voucher ($5 for $10 of food), you add a $1 gratuity? And you didn't even walk our food over to our table? Puh-leaze!
- $3 for a 16 ounce bottle of Coke? Ouch.
- $10.93 total for nachos and a can of coke is seriously pricey - thank God I had the Google voucher!
Rating: 3½ out of 5
Rating Notes: Above average chicken, built-in enchilada taste and home-fried chips will get me every time! Could have done with some better avocado/guacamole and salsa. Questionable neighborhood.
Map to Location: http://mapq.st/M0cY8f
Friday, June 8, 2012
Wow - just when I thought I'd reached the pinnacle of shredded chicken (Pollo) goodness with Angel's Rock House and would never find anything even better, I come to this place and am blown away. No contest, this is the best meat I've had on nachos anywhere (Rio Adobe's Adobado Pork is probably a close second if we're counting every type of meat). No salsa on this batch, but the guacamole, sour cream, and jalapenos mixed in with the tasty chicken had the overall flavor of a delectable plate of chicken enchiladas, my next-favorite Mexican food.
Incidentally, I discovered this place while I was with my buddy, getting food for "Man Movie Night". We were passing by on our way to Taqueria Vallarta and he said, "That place is pretty good." I said, "Really? Should we go there?" "Sure." One fateful U-turn later, there we were, getting what would become my go-to chicken nachos in Santa Cruz. Nice!
Rating: 4½ out of 5
Rating Notes: Also included home-made deep-fried tortilla chips like God intended! Would have hit the magic 5 if it had pico de gallo and no beans.
Cautionary Note: You see that pinkish-red salsa on the right in the photo? Stay away from it. Tasted like a cross between pico-de-gallo, and sauerkraut and almost burned my face off. Nasty stuff!
Map to Location: http://mapq.st/Khzz4j
Wednesday, June 6, 2012
These nachos reminded me of a Playboy model. You look at the picture, drooling because she looks so incredibly appetizing, so perfect, so put-together, but once you get to know her, there's a good chance that she won't be at all compatible with your tastes. All the elements were there - shredded chicken, chips, sour cream, guacamole, real cheese - but upon taking a bite, I found bland chicken, mediocre chips, watered-down sour cream, and not enough guacamole (the guacamole was actually pretty darn good).
Rating: 3 out of 5
Rating Notes: I'll take the Playboy model instead.
Map to Location: http://mapq.st/LBWIKE