Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Rico's Tacos (Campbell, CA): Nachos with Chicken


After the whole nacho-less trip to Tennessee a couple weeks ago (see last post), I was really hoping that my next trip to a taqueria for nachos would really be something to talk about.  Well, kind of.  This time, I went to ‘Rico’s Tacos’ in Campbell.
Two Reasons why those of you who have worked with me in the Los Gatos/Campbell area would find it amazing that I’d never gone to this little strip-mall taqueria:
1. It’s been there since before I started working ‘round these parts in 1999.
2. Many of you thought that it was the place I referred to as ‘Ricardo’s’ (now ‘Orale’ – see earlier post), home of my favorite chicken burrito ever, and why the heck wouldn’t I have tried this highly recommended taqueria that you kept mistaking for one of my favorite taquerias before?
Two things about Rico’s that intrigued me:
1. As if they knew I was coming, they had - and I’m not joking - a hand-drawn sign on poster board that said “We Have Nachos” taped to the wall next to their regular menu board
2. Although their nachos had Queso (“plastic cheese”, as I like to call it) instead of melted cheese, their shredded chicken was so darn good, and the seasonings so queso-friendly, that I now believe you CAN make a tasty, gourmet plate of nachos with that infamous yellow goo.
Two Reasons I would go back:
1. The nachos were good and reasonably priced
2. The place IS called “Rico’s Tacos” so I should probably go ahead and try some next time
Nacho Notes (NEW Feature!):
- Great Chicken (kind of reminded me of the chicken from Angel’s Rock House – see earlier post)
- Good Chips
- Guacamole that’s mostly avocado

Rating: 3 ½ Stars
Rating Notes: Although I commend them on making plastic cheese work so well with the shredded chicken, it WAS plastic cheese and that cost them ½ a star.
Map to Location: http://mapq.st/qjZyCc

No comments:

Post a Comment