Saturday, July 23, 2011

Tortilla Flats (Soquel, CA): Small Nachos with Chicken

Ah yes, Tortilla Flats, a fixture in Soquel (near Santa Cruz) since the early 80's.  My family and I have been going to this excellent hole-in-the-wall gourmet Mexican restaurant since I was a kid.  This is no ordinary Mexican restaurant.  They have killer specials and great desserts.  My dad got mushroom tamales made with 3 different kinds of gourmet mushrooms.  One of the dessert offerings was mango cream pie (my wife and I were sad that we didn't have enough space left in our tummies for it after devouring our main courses).  My usual here is their amazing "Red Pepper Chicken Enchiladas".  Believe it or not, I'd never had their nachos!  Since I was there with a group (Mom, Dad, Wife, and Kids), we ordered nachos as an appetizer.  Predictably, they were very good.   The chicken was tender, the cheese was good quality, and the guacamole was excellent.  Best tomatoes that I've had on a plate of nachos, too!  These definitely weren't the best nachos I've had, but I was glad to see a solid showing from one of my favorite restaurants.
Rating: 3½ out of 5
Map to Location: http://mapq.st/oSRo0Q
Footnote:  I thought it appropriate to share a couple more photos from my dining experience this evening:

 "Red Pepper Chicken Enchiladas"  My old standby.  So good!  The sauce is amazing.

"Watermelon Margaritas" Wow.  $9.50 each?  Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment